Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Christmas Break

I'm back and I found some really great books to keep me busy for the many hours I spent in the car and sitting next to my husband during bowl games.



The Hunger Games, by Suzanne Collins



The Invention of Hugo Cabret, by Brian Selzin
This book was like a picture book but really thick and lots of words. The pictures tell the story equally with the words. Here's a link to the opening sequence. And a link to Brian Selznick doing a sing and dance routine from a high school production resembling Alice and wonderland. It gets more interesting around five minutes in, but the whole thing is a disturbing morality tale. The point is, I think, that authors look good in purple tights.



Harry Potter 6 and 7 (rereads, but fun)




Time and Again by Jack Finney (good, but somehow not satisfying. Didn't care about the protagonist enough. He dumps this very likeable girl for no reason. Otherwise, great book.)

What books have you made it through recently? Any to recommend?

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the links to Brian Selznick! I loooved the video-makes me want to read the book even more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It gives me a panic attack to watch that. Not the costume- the singing solo with an audience. I'm not much for karaoke;) thanks for stopping by Stephanie!

    ReplyDelete