Thursday, September 30, 2010

Bruiser by Neal Shusterman

Tennyson is very concerned when his sister, Bronte, starts a new project, in the form of social rehab of a loner, Bruiser, who looks like he's descended from the Hulk. Tennyson feels their home life is already complicated enough with their parents separating. But Tennyson gets to know Bruiser and realizes that he's an okay guy, if a little wierd. He and Bronte figure out that Bruiser has a secret as terrible in practice as it is wonderful in the abstract. They try to help him, but sometimes the person in the mirror needs help the most.





"Bruiser" is told from four persectives, and I was impressed with how convincing each of the voices were. I loved the Special Thing Bruiser could do, which I won't describe here. It was cool and very believable, though.

I also loved the theme of how pain is a necessary part of life, and it reminded me a bit of "The Giver" in that way. I'll just say that Bruiser changes a lot of things for the people he cares about, and sometimes protecting someone isn't in their best interests.

Thanks to Around the World Blogs for lending me this ARC. The book was released in June, and the paperback will come out in April. Definately worth reading and nothing was out of place. I highly recommend.

6 comments:

  1. Wow! I love Neal Shusterman! This sounds great too

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hadn't heard of either this author or this book. Thanks for another great recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Colleen and Krista- thanks for stopping by. Let me know what you think if you read it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Bruiser" is one of my favorite books. It kept me on edge.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The book also contained "Extras": Neal Shusterman's Inspiration for Bruiser, The Original Proposal, The Lost Chapter, More of Brewster's verse, and An Interview with Neal Shusterman. Reminded me of the extra features at the end of a DVD, and added even more to my enjoyment of the book.

    Marlene
    Visit my site Phoenix SEO Experts website

    ReplyDelete