Monday, March 7, 2011

StellarCon...con...con

Teresa Frohock and I at StellarCon35. Look at our awesome name badges! This was the first time I've met somebody in real life that I knew from the computer, and it was easier than I expected. It took my brain a few minutes to get it, but I was able to connect all of the openess I have with my email buddy to the real person standing in front of me. We had a blast, but we did not get thrown out of any workshops for snickering too much, as I'd hoped.

I attended the Sat. session, including the workshop with Allen Wold (except for the half hour I missed bc I was late! A.W. was terribly nice about it and let me join in), a Quickwrite panel where teams of writers were given prompts and passed a notebook around, a workshop on making compelling bad guys, and *most* of a character development discussion.

I'll post a little about each class every day this week. But for now, know that I had a great time and thought the convention atmosphere was way more relaxed than the writer's conferences I've been to. And cheaper. Way cheaper. ($30 for a weekend of writing classes beats the heck out of what the SCWW charges for their conference. StellarCon didn't have agents, but if you're just looking to connect with writers and attend some classes on craft, it was great.) If you write fantasy or Sci fi, it might be the way to go.

Plus the people watching is out of this world. And mail-clad. And leather-girtled. 

Happy Writing!

9 comments:

  1. Kelly,
    Are you the Kelly Bryson that just got selected for the Knight Agency contest? I got selected too. When I saw the name, I was hoping it was you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelly Bryson got selected? No way! That's me! Thanks for the heads up, Connie. Yeah! The Knight Agency is amazing...I would LOVE to have them rep me. Dreamy sigh...

    Good luck Connie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you had a great time. I would have LOVED to have been there with you and Teresa... *sigh*

    Looking forward to your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Jen- maybe next time? Have you been to any conferences in TX? I get with Houston and Dallas you have some good ones!

    I'll try to pick the good stuff out of my notes for you:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, Kelly,
    I just noticed on the Knight Agency blog that several people's submissions did not come through. (You are one of the people listed whose work did not show up.) Please visit their blog for more info on how to get your submission there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sounds like a lot of fun. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Connie- thanks- I'm not sure why my email didn't go through but Jia, their marketing director, I think, hunted me down on facebook. Isn't that impressive?

    Hey Myrna- It was. I'm so glad your dad is out of the hospital.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That sounds like fun :) I haven't been to any writers' conferences, but I do love meeting up with friends I've made through blogging :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Rachel- It was! I love blogging bc of all of the friends I've made. I should blog more frequently...

    ReplyDelete