I've had some friends read a few chapters, but I haven't gotten the detailed responses that I would like. So I'm playing with "Beta Reader Comment Form a-1".
Here's what I'm considering-
- A page at the beginning of each chapter so they can have it out when reading to make notes on.
- It will be preprinted with the reader's name on it so they will 'own it' and feel obligated to fill it out.
- Every sheet will ask things like (this is still tentative):
- Is there any events/actions that were confusing?
- Did the character do anything that felt "wrong" for their character?
- Did you ever think "That's dumb. Why didn't they just (fill in the blank here)?"
- Could you clearly see the action when reading? What was confusing?
- Did you skip/skim any? (Please mark where)
- Do the chapter titles work?
- Is any of it too slow? or feel like a summary (too fast)?
- Were you pulled to keep reading in this chapter?
- At the end I will ask for feedback on the title and if it matches the book. I may give a few options and ask which one they like best after reading the book.
- I will ask if any books they've read remind them of my book.
- What were their favorite scenes?
- What were your least favorite scenes?
- I will hug and squeeze them and tell them they are my good, bestest friends for life. Possible beyond.
What am I missing? How do you help your readers help you see potential problems?
Glutton for Punishment?